Thursday, October 9, 2008

In The Immortal Words Of Junie B. Jones, "I Have Tension In Me!"


Translation (for those who don't understand seven year old writing):
10-6-08
Dear Mom and Dad, I am having a hard time finding friends at school but I want you to know that I love you Mom and Dad. Love Brock
Usually I love SEP's (snazzy new way of saying parent teacher conferences). I go, the teachers rave on and on about how great my kids are, and I leave thinking I must be the best mom in the world to have raised such amazing little people. Imagine my surprise, when I went yesterday and was handed this letter from my son. Mrs. Earl (Jeanie) looked across the table at me and Scott, told us that Brock was doing phenomenally academically, and then said "he wrote you a letter, but it broke my heart when I read it." I'm sure that was intended to give me some kind of warning about what I was about to read (since when I asked her earlier that day at the book fair if she was going to tell me anything bad when we met for SEP she conveniently left that warning out and said it would all be great). Honestly, it was all I could do to keep myself composed and not start crying. How can my baby be having such a hard time and I had no idea?!? This is my kid who still cuddles with me and talks with me about everything. How did this not come up in our conversations? His teachers (there are two who split the day down the middle) both said they were baffled by his feelings. They told me he was friendly and outgoing in class and that the kids seemed to like him a lot. He always has a partner when they split off into groups, and they thought that he had tons of friends. I am constantly at his school, volunteering or subbing and I have always seen him with friends and felt he was well liked. He doesn't have a bunch of kids over to play, but that is entirely my fault. We are always so busy running from practices and games and scouts and whatever other project I have going on, that friends (for all of my kids) usually hits the bottom of the list of priorities. I know that makes me a loser mom, but truly, they ARE with their friends at most of the activities I just mentioned. Perhaps Brock was just having a bad day on Monday, but I am still devastated that he was hurting enough he wrote me a letter about it. I don't know what to do. I don't know how to fix this for him. I need suggestions. Please comment (and be gentle, I am already a mess over this) and give me advice. Thank you friends and family for all of your love and support. It means so much to me. Looking forward to hearing from you....

4 comments:

Laura said...

That made me want to cry too...I don't have any advice. Hugs to both of you.

Shennie said...

First of all remember that you are a wonderful mother! (Otherwise you wouldn't be sick over this.)
Isn't it shocking how much the anguish of our kids gnaws at us...
The best advice I can give is the advise that my mom gave me. When you don't know what to do remember they are Heavenly Father's children before they are ours.

kristin said...

Rita - big ol' hugs to all of you. I feel like that is something I could have written for most of my life - I know lots of people, they like me, but I am just not good at having a really good friend, like a best friend (therefore leaving a person pretty lonely). That is where i am so thankful for family - they are my friends and I know that they will always be there.

Maybe you could help him to pray for a really good friend. It might take a while, but Heavenly Father listens to the prayers of his children. I had a friend in HS who prayed for a friend, and soon a girl moved into the ward, and they were both what the other needed. :)

The Russell Family said...

I have to tell you that as soon as I read that the first thing that came in to my mind is how lucky he is to have a special guardian angel in heaven looking out for him when trials come and go in his life. I am sure that seems so random but I had to share that with you. You really are so blessed because your kids are the all the sweetest things and so tender hearted and you have been such a good mom! Keep up the good work and don't stress this will work out and probably teach him a valuable lesson. Give him a big hug from me -Jenna